Thursday 3 December 2015

My (short) trip to Prague 2015

First of all, I have to get this out there…

 What is the deal with the airport in Prague!?  It was the strangest setup we’d ever seen (and I’ve been in many an airport myself), particularly on the way back to Ireland.
You show your passport and boarding pass, and then you wind up in exactly the same place that you were when you arrived to the airport on your way into the country.  And THEN you do all your duty-free shopping and whatnot BEFORE going through security, and each gate seemed to have its own security check, rather than just going through security, doing your shopping and then finding your gate…  We found it pretty confusing to say the least.

But anyway!  Prague was an experience and a half for an endless list of reasons, but for the sake of this post, I’m just going to talk about the trip itself and my own experience.



When we arrived in Prague airport, we went to the information desk to find out how to get to our hotel from there.  Turns out we had to get a bus to the metro, and from there we had to get on the red line, then the green line (or maybe it was the opposite way around?) and then our hotel would be 500 metres away… 
We got lost.

Looong story short, long before we eventually found our hotel, we ended up running down the middle of a dual carriageway, with our suitcases, at minus one degree, at 8:30 in the evening, laughing like lunatics as panic began to set in.  I can only imagine the drivers telling their families about us when they got home.  #Gobshites

Laura and myself 


Snug as a bug in a rug...  It was -1 the whole time!

Day two of the trip, was amazing!  We woke up to a beautiful snowy morning (even though sadly it didn't stick), and having picked up a few tourist information leaflets from the hotel, we decided to make our way over to the Palladium - Best shopping centre I've ever been to!
Over 200 shops, including some of my old favourites like Lush and The Body Shop, and some new favourites like Dermacol and Sephora!

The city itself was beautiful.  The buildings and streets are so different to anything else I've ever seen.  Some buildings you look at and assume they're something important based on the intricacy of the architecture and design alone, and then you get up close and see that it's actually just a shop or a restaurant!

Nike shop in Prague
I'm not the most adventurous of creatures, so I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't dare to try any of the real local cuisine, more than anything because I had heard that the diet is very meaty, and as a person that doesn't eat pork/beef/chicken/anything, I decided to just steer clear of anything that I was unfamiliar with! Ha ha!  I wound up eating pizza (To. Die. For.), and sushi... 

Sushi... proper sushi... so, raw fish.
I love sushi, I'll even dare to say that I'm half decent at making my own...  But I had never tried sushi with raw salmon on it.  It wasn't bad, it was just a shock to the tastebuds since I was expecting smoked salmon.  I could've gotten over the difference in the taste if it hadn't have been for the texture.  I couldn't deal with that texture!!  Eventually I just ditched all the fish, but apart from that it was good. XD

Apart from the food issues, getting lost and our dual carriageway incident the only other issue I had was with the currency.  I'd say I looked well at the tills, examining every single coin! 

All in all it was a great trip, I loved the city, I have every intention of going back (for a longer stay) and I highly recommend anyone that gets the opportunity to visit the country to take it with both hands!  

I will be doing a separate post about the little shopping I did and then separate reviews on the products, so if you'd be interested in reading those, feel free to come back or to follow.

Thanks for reading!  
Shiv xx







No comments:

Post a Comment